30 WAYS A
CAN HELP YOU
READY FOR BREAKTHROUGH RESULTS WITH A BUSINESS COACH?
I’ll admit “30 ways a business coach can help you”does sound a little bit like a business coaching seminar opening line or the latest advice about how to grow your business. Although as you will read below, I have shared thirty real life examples of how a business coach can help you grow sales, profitability and achieve your goals.
I realise you can read lots of online articles talking about the theories of delivering business growth but they don’t give you the practical steps that apply to your business, your situation or your personality. That’s where business coaching is different to mentoring or consulting, I get my hands dirty and together we achieve the goals you have for your business.
You can read about some of the business success stories below as they may very well apply to your situation and I am ready to help provide you with business coaching in Melbourne.
SALES revenue growth
Working with him as my business coach changed everything. Engaging a business coach wasn’t something I initially thought was in my wheelhouse but ended up defining the way my business operates. I now work with him every week. I was initially much more comfortable working in the weeds chasing emails.
David was the one to finally hold me accountable to my bigger goals. He taught me the ins and outs of working to a strategy.
Creating more structure around my staff with behavioural values, role clarity and introducing performance reviews. He tightened up the way I go about cash flow management including de-briefing every campaign and reviewing my projections for the next 12 months.
I now stay on top of the projections anticipating every change in the market. I haven’t made a bad decision since engaging him. David’s approach and his summary reports are the kind of stuff you can’t find anywhere else on the internet.
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS EXPANSION
An area in which I wouldn’t have even considered if I hadn’t worked with David. It was his ideas and his push. His ability to prepare for and then execute on conference calls and pitch documents. He wouldn’t let me sell myself short.
The process included countless hours on the phone, text messages and e-mails back and forth with all stakeholders. David was key in helping me secure deals and locking in favourable deals that resulted in huge growth to brand equity and revenue.
It was truly an elite experience from beginning to end and David helped secure key deals. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without him.
OVERSEAS SALES GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES
He understood how to negotiate with international suppliers about logistics and joined in all our calls to international supply chain representatives. Always pushing me to make sure I was properly researched before undertaking any major negotiation.
He set high benchmarks and made sure our proposals were presented better than ever before. His mindset being that “every word should have a place and meaning to the negotiations”. We modified our website to allow for international FAQs and currency conversions. We de-briefed at every stage and learned from every interaction. The sky’s the limit!!
BUSINESS PROPOSALS AND PITCHES
David doesn’t settle for second best. He gets the best out of you and his work. David doesn’t let you put out work that is substandard. He has the attention to detail of a lawyer and the creativity of a world class marketer.
CASH FLOW MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES
It was one of the primary things he introduced and something we look at on a weekly basis. Setting and then re-setting projections for the next 18 months. Constantly, adapting to emerging issues. Looking for angles. Anticipating new trends. He encouraged me to develop a business strategy and then bring that mindset into our sessions every week.
Before I engaged David we fell into the trap of being hit and miss. Like many small businesses.
When David and I started looking into cash flow and analytics on a weekly basis I have scarcely put a foot wrong.
My decision making has improved markedly. Those decisions which previously cost us tens of thousands of dollars a year have now been nullified. Instead that money is in the business and our back pocket. His attention to detail and results driven mindset is truly something else. You need to experience it to believe it.
RE-NEGOTIATING SUPPLIER CONTRACTS
When we began our apparel business based in Melbourne, we immediately turned toward China for our supplier arrangements, due to the availability of low cost manufacturing. We wouldn’t have been able to get started without this option. We did not want to take on investors or a Board and wanted to maintain full financial freedom.
After a time, it was clear that our terms of business were no longer favourable. We were being pushed to increase our minimum orders and were carrying too much excess stock in our warehouse. We were very nervous in trying to negotiate a better deal given the language barriers and the risk of ruining the relationship. We felt that they wouldn’t tolerate being disrespected, and do not like “big talkers” with threats to walk out.
David is a master negotiator and mediator and was able to completely reframe our approach. Helping us script and role play a number of key points to our negotiation including the financial barriers it was creating to our long term success.
He helped us pitch for smaller minimum orders as well as more favourable timing of payments and prepayment percentages.
Accountability is the theme. These reports are not standard for any business coach. They are so in depth and it’s like David writes every word said in the session. It is his true genius. You don’t notice him taking notes. But they are comprehensive and accurate.
He lists the goals that need to be met before the next week. These reports drive exceptional performance. You wouldn’t be doing these things otherwise. I swear by his reports as the greatest level of value I had ever seen.
Almost overnight I built serious momentum and cash flow in running specialised workshops on parenting at schools and in small group sessions. Long story short….He was right.
Dave has been amazing to work with. He has the right balance of honesty, humor, self-awareness and business wisdom. He knows his shit, and knows how to guide you towards figuring out what is working in your business, and what isn’t. I feel dramatic in saying ‘Dave changed my life’ ….but he legit did. He has helped me realize where I am strong, and where I am weak. He motivates me, encourages me, and helps me see where my self-sabotage bullshit is tripping me up. Working with Dave is insanely good value for money and I strongly encourage you to give one session a go — you won’t be disappointed!
DEFINING MISSION STATEMENTS
When David said I should create a mission statement I couldn’t argue harder with him. It seemed like a waste of time and a total cliché. Then he talked to me about Simon Sinek’s golden circle, and how we could start selling our vision, and not only our products.
Instead of merely describing what our company is already doing, he asked me to start by asking myself why we do what we do. Talk about a mind bender. It wasn’t easy, but was definitely worth the effort when I involved my small team. But when we got done to it, I loved discussing why we started the business and how it could attract customers who believe what we believe.
David kept encouraging us to find our own community. That they were out there waiting for us.
MY BUSINESS MODEL WAS FAILING
But it wasn’t selling, and I couldn’t understand why. I hadn’t used a business coach before and wasn’t sure if it was the right move, but my business was failing and was running out of options.
David helped unpack why it wasn’t working. In short, I had created an idealised version of myself in my business offering and it wasn’t true to who I really was. I couldn’t live up to it. I wasn’t being authentic. When I pitched it to prospective clients, they quickly saw that what I was offering didn’t match up to my true nature and methodology. David helped me subtly adapt my online model without losing all the money I had invested. I began pitching differently. I started to look for like minded people. I started to build a community of followers. I used social media more often. I created a new approach to my marketing.
Over time, my cash flow began to pick up and I became very busy. I owe it all to David’s intervention and have used him on retainer since then. I’m pleased to say my business is now thriving.
IDENTIFYING NEW REVENUE OPPORTUNITIES
It was David’s idea to chase a major sports celebrity to endorse our products when an early campaign was in serious trouble. We didn’t think it was plausible and felt it was out of our league. David kept asking us not to sell ourselves short, to be entrepreneurial and open minded. It took no advertising revenue and completely changed the way we operate. It has become part of our everyday game planning and long term strategy. All conceived in a local coffee shop.
I have to be honest. Being a business owner can be a lonely journey but I originally hated networking. I always felt like the black sheep in a conference room. The person who stood out as being different. I didn’t like the small talk and naked self promotion. I wasn’t interested in joining a BNI given the limited time I had at my disposal. I was too reliant on advertising and was spending a fortune relative to my earnings. I was at a bit of a crossroads when I saw David.
My business was starting to flatline. He called me on it. He said I either go back to working in corporate life or accept the fundamentals of running a successful business. Firstly, he encouraged me to take baby steps. To improve my linkedin profile and begin using it regularly. Posting every fortnight to overcome my fear of being judged. Sending out a heap of new linkedin invitations and messages to people I had third party connections to. He worked with me on creating a more authentic professional brand. Something more earthy and real. He gave me weekly targets for networking. Based on the type of networking I preferred which was one to one. He wanted me to push myself to talk to people I didn’t know.
At the end of this first phase, which took a month, I started to feel more confident the more I did it. New sprouts of business growth came from these connections.
NEW SALES STRATEGIES
He drove me to think outside the square to find new ways of generating cash flow. As an online business owner, I was wedded to my approach of rinse and release product launches but David felt I was too blinkered and missing some opportunities. After a lot of debate, I trialled a physical pop up sale held locally in Melbourne.
David and I worked through my database analytics and saw that I had the scale of local customers to justify the trial. We also came up with the idea of incorporating cross promotional activities. For starters I did a deal with a local venue at no cost. All on the basis that our customers would buy food and drink at the venue.
In the end, I was blown away with lines around the block. There seemed to be a market for lightning pop up sales.
RE-NEGOTIATE BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS
What would’ve been a shockingly awkward and confrontational conversation turned out to be anything but. Something I wouldn’t have had the courage to do in the circumstances. I would have bottled it up and pressed on with underlying frustration.
David put together a plan of preparing for the negotiation. He answered all my FAQs and contingencies. We practised the way the conversation was likely to shake out. It ended up in a highly desirable result that I wouldn’t have done myself.
David is a strategist. I thought that creating strategies suited larger businesses and organisations. I couldn’t fathom creating one for a small business. He wouldn’t accept that mindset. He helped me create a simple strategy that suited our business model.
He always helps tie our short-term focus, on the here and now, into our long-term goals. He has held me accountable to meet every goal. He is the PT of my business.
It was subtle but when I blasted out our new values on social media it created a conversation with a COO in my linkedin network and then a follow up for coffee.
Up until that point and as a small business owner I really couldn’t see the point or the investment in time. David helped change my mind on how powerful they could be when done right. He facilitated a session with my team and we created a set of values in a 2.5 hour session. We looked at ways we could use them to help our clients understand what we stand for and it could lead to a stronger team culture. David gave me case studies of how pride in our core values reflects our culture. It’s what makes our business one of a kind, beyond our products and services.
I was surprised to see how enthusiastic my team took to the workshop and how the exercise brought us closer together! I had always thought of that HR jargon as a waste of time and resources.
AQUIRING NEW CUSTOMERS
After working with David for 2-3 sessions he suggested that I collaborate with other small businesses for cross promotional competitions and prize giving.
He came up with the idea after I discussed my deep network of friends in other small business ventures. With the lure of a range of prizes, heaps more people were prepared to share information with me as part of the entry process. It is now part of my social media strategy. I also use my friend’s products as part of my sales strategies around the end of financial year, black friday and Christmas.
It allows me to offer different packages as part of sales.
When COVID19 hit I feared that my business was over. I tried to march on as if nothing happened and I was punished in sales big time. My lowest March revenue in history. By a mile. I was totally shattered. I was bleeding money on every front and could only keep running until June until the money ran out.
I reached out to David seeing if he could suggest anything to breathe life back into the company. He suggested that it started with our customers. We needed to completely change the way we marketed our products. The wording we were using. That we should put ourselves in their shoes and run with a campaign that found an intersection between some of our core products and the way people were feeling being stuck at home.
David inundated me with 50-60 potential captions we could use. He always talks about authenticity and said that any images taken pre-pandemic and our previous messaging wouldn’t work.
David helped me work on my brand. He dug into my VIA strengths and Myers Briggs and quickly got a feel for my personal strengths and weaknesses. It wasn’t the most comfortable process but I kept walking away more and more confident in myself. He kept telling me that honesty is an important part of being authentic. He asked me pointed questions about whether I was projecting a professional image that reflects who I really am? I knew deep down it wasn’t. I think it was a reason I felt so anxious posting on social media.
It took at least 5 drafts but I started to create a brand I was proud of. It contained my true values and priorities. I wasn’t pretending to be perfect. I revelled in David’s idea that I was perfectly imperfect. He kept saying that people need to judge me on the sum of all my interactions with them and not on first glance. I didn’t feel the same aversion I originally felt discussing the topic.
He suggested that we completely adapt our messaging. Change our approach to marketing. Still in line with our core brand but a genuinely brilliant manoeuvre.
An idea that some of my business contacts in other businesses are replicating. David is a change agent and challenges the norm. He is very creative and has excellent marketing experience.
DEFINING BUSINESS CULTURE
I had previously heard about David through a connection of mine in the sports industry. When I first met him I asked about helping create my business culture. Something that had become really important after we grew to having a team of 8.
I wanted to have a defined company culture to give the team something to be excited about. I was really concerned after struggling to hold onto my previous 2IC and had also lost 2 junior staff in a 3 month span. I felt the office mood flattening and how their loss had affected morale. I wanted the team to feel unified.
Together with David, we worked on our vision, role, mission, guiding behaviours, values and customer service standards. It was an awesome series of workshops. David has been on my back to make sure all of that work is integrated into everything we do.
As a small business and new to wage management practices we were operating blindly at first.
To be truthful, we didn’t really understand the legal difference between contractors, casuals, permanent staff and fixed term when it boiled down to it.
The people we were hiring didn’t have a clue either. It was the blind leading the blind. We now understand the benefits and requirements for each type of employment category.
Being a small business we are subject to ebbs and flows in our sales. Our messaging and process was on point and we managed to help preserve the dignity of the affected staff. I would prefer not to go through it again but as a small business owner it is part and parcel of the game. David’s deep experience protected us at all times and made sure we ticked all our obligations under industrial law.
Up to that point, my sales were really inconsistent, spotty and very hard to project. I wasn’t getting the organic traffic I wanted and kept having to hunt for new work. Often at a vast discount. The disciplines didn’t really complement each other.
I had spread myself too thin as a photographer, videographer as well as offering a range of other marketing consulting services. I saw myself as being equally good in each discipline. My website was set up to try and maximise them all. Whilst I kept getting great testimonials I wasn’t getting the traction I wanted. Dave said it is always preferable to settle on a niche but if I wanted to stick with a wide range I should divide and conquer. Focus one half of the business on photography and videography which complement each other. The other half on the broad marketing services I also enjoyed selling.
I set up different names and websites for the two different disciplines. He helped me break down my goals into weekly targets – i.e. time spent on each business. I adjusted my margins so I wasn’t selling myself short given the limited time at my disposal.
He has helped me with the art of negotiation and getting the best out of people and myself. He has pushed my performance to new levels which are now my new A grade standard. David is the perfect accountability coach.
CHANGE AND TRANSITIONS
Problem was I wasn’t sure what that looked like and how to leave one identity behind to embrace the next. David guided me through these hurdles, from a financial perspective and my emotional resistance.
I cried, laughed and let off steam as he supported me venturing into the treacherous landscape of changing my business model.
David had the strength to challenge me (which is no small feat in itself), support me and bring out the authentic version I needed to lean into, to succeed. His warm, empathic positive outlook, exceptional business experience and knowledge, humour and ‘tell it like it is’ style of business coaching was a perfect fit. I have recommended him to dynamic business leaders looking for a business coach, who approaches each session with integrity, grit and honesty, that can do the work and bring something innovative to the table.
RIGHT HAND MAN
David has been my go-to person when the goings get tough in my small business. I have David on a retainer, and we catch up weekly. Initially monthly, then fortnightly and now weekly. He always ensures I prepare an agenda for the meeting.
We run through immediate issues surrounding the business. We dive into the cash flow projections for the next 18 months. He helps strategize and puts ideas forward for emerging opportunities and issues. He is available via phone and e-mail and is truly brilliant to have a part of your team.
Something we now have put up on the wall of our office. He then taught me that our yearly operations plan needs to set out how we are going to complete our strategic objectives. He got us to work off SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable & Realistic, Timely).
David helped us put together a performance review document and process catered for my business. He explained and taught us how to use it. So easy and efficient.
They also said they felt clearer on what was expected of them and it created a much better internal dialogue.
A PERSONAL TRAINER FOR MY BUSINESS
In small businesses it’s easy to be complacent. Especially when you’re the boss. David ensures you get more out of yourself and the business. He is a natural teacher.
MANAGING BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS
In future, I would recommend that anyone considering going into business with someone, should engage a business coach to make sure you have the right fit. In my case, I looked for a business partner to deal with my feelings of isolation as an entrepreneur. If I had known about David earlier, I wouldn’t have got myself into considerable bother with the business partner I chose. It was a decision made for the wrong reasons. We had different approaches to business. It went from a distraction to a full-blown disaster. I was completely lost and would not have the skills to get myself out of this complex situation. Thankfully, David was outstanding in this space and I could lean on his experience in human behaviour and mediation. He was able to guide me through a fair and equitable resolution.
I thought the stress of it would end me. I couldn’t cope with it at all. David has previous experience as a commercial litigation solicitor (just another string to his bow) and he helped me put together a strategy which included briefing a solicitor and then a barrister. He guided me through the process and helped me understand which way to turn. He was the extra shoulder to lean on and a person to turn to. I got out of that situation without spending too much on legal fees and was able to avoid protracted litigation. He was key for me in that circumstance.
He helped open new markets to our business. Again, he helped me engage a solicitor with expertise in that space. He helped me understand the steps involved. Helping me ask the right questions. Keep on top of things. To negotiate and then minimise the legal fees, we spent. He made the process as painless as it could possibly be.
Learn more about why a personal business coach can be the best decision you can make to grow your business.
30 real life examples of incredible business transformations created from energetic and powerful business coaching.
As a trained mediator I have dealt with some very ugly scenarios involving workplace tension. After all we are human but there are techniques to manage it.
Business coaching is designed to give space to business owners and breed accountability. It helps hit the pause button, reassess, make decisions, commit to new action and move forward with clarity to navigate uncertainty and ambiguity.
Business coaches should be skilled and qualified with a diverse and successful background in small business-related issues. They know how to grow businesses!
They provide personalized advice to steer you through any obstacles you face running a business.
A business coach will help you:
- Stabilise your cash flow
- Project your future cash flow
- Identify your ideal customer
- Refine your business niche
- Tighten your value proposition
- Properly research your competitors
- Improve your website
- Create new digital marketing campaigns
- Network with purpose
- Introduce elite talent management and hiring practices
- Negotiate the best possible supply chain terms and conditions
- Create a 3-year strategy
- Focus on implementing targets in your operations plan
- Address any staffing issues
Find new people to collaborate with and new investors
The best business coaches treat their client as if they are the most essential thing on their mind. Their service is flexible, personalised and hands on.
It should be a completely different experience from off-the-shelf training, the general advice of a mentor, articles on google or listening to podcasts. All of which have merit but don’t allow for your personal circumstances and preferred way of attacking problems.
When you work with a business coach you should expect to be held accountable to your business targets. You should be prepared for:
- A routine and rhythm of meeting regularly
- Openly sharing your cash flow and all relevant business analytics
- Providing regular progress updates
- Ripping into immediate business issues (low hanging fruit)
- To maximise ROI by addressing your strategy, systems and long-term future
If only ½ half of startups survive more than 5 years and only ⅓ make it to 10 years, what’s the huge game changing move to grow your business as well as setting it up to be sustainable?
Get your hands on an elite business coach! They could be worth millions to you. First things first, a business coach will quickly help you identify your gaps which could include:
- No real business plan or generally poor planning.
- A need to stabilise your cash flow
- Reliant on a small number of clients for more than half of your income
- Exploring ways to increase and close more sales
- To restructure your business for growth
- Finding your business niche
- Too operationally focused and unwilling to delegate
- Poorly planned marketing campaigns
- Shortage of adequate marketing and publicity
- Inexperience managing a business
- Running out of funds
- Ratio of costs to revenue being unbalanced
- A need to obtain finance to bring a new product to market
- An issue with target audience reach and sales conversion ratios
- Strategies to deal with market volatility
- A need to hire new staff
- Staffing issues
- No positions descriptions or performance reviews
- Supply chain issues
- Growing problems in the partnership
- Projected cash flow
- Competitor analysis
In small businesses it’s easy to be complacent. A business coach ensures you get more out of yourself and the business. They make you look for every angle. Ways to be more efficient, with processes and strategy and ways to make more $.
A business coach will help you in the art of negotiation and navigating tough business decisions. They will push your performance to new levels which will become your new A grade standard. Every single business owner needs an accountability coach.
A business coach will dive into every session with a clear agenda. A chance to discuss immediate issues surrounding the business. To explore cash flow projections for the next 12 months. To help strategize and put ideas forward for emerging opportunities and issues. They are available via phone and e-mail and are a truly brilliant feature of the best small business teams. Much, much cheaper than a junior full-time employee. In fact, a small fraction of a cost but someone with the calibre of a CEO and Executive.
I wake up every morning, with the words of the Young Entrepreneur Council front of mind.
In an article written in 2015, they described how a business coach can make you work harder and progress faster than you would on your own. From providing a much-needed ego check to helping expand your network, a business coach can give you both the tools and perspective you need to go from point A to point B.
Based on their own experiences, 10 successful founders from Young Entrepreneur Council discuss some of the benefits to hiring a business coach.
- You’ll go outside your comfort zone
- You’ll get personal attention from someone who knows your business inside and out
- You’ll finally have someone who isn’t afraid of correcting you
- You’ll learn how to make your ideas a reality
- You’ll gain a needed confidante
- Your networking opportunities will skyrocket
- You’ll make more money
- You’ll develop self-confidence
- You’ll be held accountable for what really matters
- You’ll hear unbiased opinions
After conducting more than 273,175 interviews on the topic, the Gallup Wellbeing Index demonstrated that 45% of entrepreneurs report being stressed. Entrepreneurs also were reported to having “worried a lot” — 34%.
Almost all small business owners desperately need advice on how to grow their business but end up running the same weekly process, rhythm and routines. Metaphorically, hitting your head against the wall until they become a statistic! Sounds a bit grim, but let’s look at some figures.
UTS Sydney, produced a report called ‘Start Me Up’ in which they estimated that 1 in 3 new small businesses in Australia fail in their first year of operation, 2 out of 4 by the end of the second year, and 3 out of 4 by the fifth year.
Small business owners often become overwhelmed by all the information and advice available. Thousands of articles, videos and podcasts online on ways to grow a business. In the context of a small business owner it can feel generic and not specific to your unique business.
Yet they usually pivot away from business coaching on the basis that they see it as expensive. But when you consider it in context of business failure rates and staffing costs, it is so much less expensive than the alternative — making poor business decisions.
Business coaching is best delivered as a hands on, targeted and customised process. All about return on investment, winning and getting things done!
No matter how solid things are going, the best business coaches will take you to the next step.
As soon as I’ve built trust with a new small business client, we revert to a monthly retainer. In this situation, my clients pay me a flat fee each month for access to my services.
In terms of added value, the monthly retainer package includes:
- Face to face coaching – 2 sessions x 1.5 hours each
- Phone support – 1 session x 30 min phone
- Email support – Email support between sessions
- Reports – Detailed summary after each session with a focus on homework and next steps
When you are weighing up the cost of a business coach, compare it to the real cost of labour. Don’t forget the hidden cost of employees:
- Annual leave
- Sick leave
- Public holidays
- Workers compensation
- Payroll tax
- Cost of recruiting new staff
- Equipment i.e. computers, mobile phones, desk space
So, a typical minimum wage employee costs you $740.80 per week (approx. $39K per year plus on costs) and a business coach costs you $12K per year.
Then evaluate the ROI on a business coach which relates to your business plan, stabilised cash flow, new revenue, a refined business niche, improved marketing campaigns, better approach to hiring, ability to handle staffing issues, an enhanced supply chain, superior competitor analysis and the list goes on.
The best business coaches have some clear features:
- The best business coaches are professionally trained by a reputable and top line coaching school like the Institute of Executive Coaching and Leadership (IECL)
- They are backed by a range of Qualifications. Professional qualifications are a way of establishing that your business coach is a well-rounded and educated professional who has extensive knowledge.
- They have gained front line experience across a range of industries and in a variety of roles. Offering you a deep playbook and a range of tools. Able to share unlimited case studies and lessons learnt.
- They have a rich network of contacts in every facet of business building. They give you unfettered access to those contacts and constantly help you build your own network.
- They are not guided by dogma or rhetoric. They are not empty motivators.
- They hold you accountable. It’s way too easy to over think and procrastinate if you’re not held accountable. They will call you out on your excuses. They will push your limits. They will help you drive your operations plan. Focus on implementing your targets.
- They kick your ass but also believe deeply in your personal potential and business. They have the courage to help you develop that potential. “If we want people to fully show up, to bring their whole selves including their unarmored, whole hearts—so that we can innovate, solve problems, and serve people—we have to be vigilant about creating a culture in which people feel safe, seen, heard, and respected.”
- They have leading skills when it comes to strategy, marketing, cash flow, people management and systems.
After every single session, David sends me a comprehensive summary report.
He includes summaries of all previous sessions. A complete record of every encounter. Every outcome. Like an index of every key issue and decision for 2 years. He includes next steps for the following session. Accountability is the theme.
These reports are not standard for any business coach. They are so in depth and it’s like David writes every word said in the session. It is his true genius. You don’t notice him taking notes. But they are comprehensive and accurate. He lists the goals that need to be met before the next week. These reports drive exceptional performance. You wouldn’t be doing these things otherwise. I swear by his reports as the greatest level of value I had ever seen.
The proof is in the pudding. This expression means that the best way to find out if something is good or successful is to test it yourself.
When I think of a reason to use me as a business coach I think of a well-known speech by Carlos Ghosn, Nissan’s president and CEO and the engineer of the company’s dramatic turnaround: ‘Don’t judge me on a good speech. Judge me on my results. Be very cynical. Be very cold. Look at the profits, the debt, the market share, the appeal of the cars. Then judge me.’
In my own case, I ask you to review the following case studies from my clients:
- David has been integral to seeing our business grow in revenue above $1.1 million dollars over the last 18 months.
- Since acquiring David’s services, we increased our average monthly yield by $20,000.
- David helped the business grow in sales by $250,000 over a 12-month period through identifying, planning and assisting the growth of our sales into overseas markets.
- David was instrumental in helping me nail huge international business opportunities in the USA and UK.
- It was with his support that we struck a $35K deal taking a failing campaign to our highest ever customer engagement score and speed of sales.
- I immediately made $22K net profit and began implementing new sales strategies after bringing David on as my business coach.
- After working with David for 2-3 sessions he suggested that I collaborate with other small businesses for cross promotional competitions and prize giving. I gained 2K in new database followers from my first 2 competitions. It is now part of my social media strategy.
- When we began our apparel business based in Melbourne, we immediately turned toward China for our supplier arrangements, due to the availability of low-cost manufacturing. After a time, it was clear that our terms of business were no longer favourable. After engaging David we ended up saving $10K per batch order for certain products. It was a life changer for our business’s bottom line.
- David helped me renegotiate my existing partnership agreement. What would’ve been a shockingly awkward and confrontational conversation turned out to be anything but.
- David has recently been instrumental in finding a way to navigate through COVID19 and see our business increase its revenue for April by 50%. In fact, April is on target to be one of our strongest of all time. He suggested that we completely adapt our messaging. Change our approach to marketing. Still in line with our core brand but a genuinely brilliant manoeuvre.
- I engaged David to assist me when my business model wasn’t working. I had spent a huge amount of money setting up an online business. Over $100K of my own money.
- David helped me create a simple strategy that suited our business model. He introduced the concepts of a 3-year strategic plan and 1-year operation plan. He always helps tie our short-term focus, on the here and now, into our long-term goals.
- It only took 2 sessions working with David to create a business strategy. He called it a strategy on a page. Something we now have put up on the wall of our office. He then taught me that our yearly operations plan needs to set out how we are going to complete our strategic objectives. He got us to work off SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable & Realistic, Timely)
- After every single session, David sends a comprehensive summary report. He includes summaries of all previous sessions. A complete record of every encounter. Every outcome. Like an index of every key issue and decision for 2 years. He includes next steps for the following session.
- David helped us put together a performance review document and process catered for my business. He explained and taught us how to use it. So easy and efficient. We never saw the point with HR documents previously but that changed after experiencing massive problems with 2 key staff members. I’m glad to say that we quickly saw changes in the way our employees behaved and performed after implementing it.
- David was extremely patient and talked us through contemporary wage management processes in accordance with current industrial laws. He helped us put together a clear set of guidelines.
- Unfortunately, there have been 2 occasions where we had to administer staff redundancies because the work wasn’t there. A topic we knew nothing about and had budgeted for expensive legal advice. David stepped in as our business coach and helped guide us through the process.
- I recently put out a new product that completely failed. I stood to lose $75K on the campaign. I didn’t see it coming. David quickly helped me with a pivot strategy. He remembered a discussion we had recently had with a third-party beer manufacturer that was looking for products it could use as part of a promotion. They thought the product looked great and were happy to buy them off me. Whilst I didn’t make all the funds back David’s pivot strategy saved my over $50K.
- When I first met him, I was about to embark on a $30k endeavour and Dave helped me see it was totally unnecessary, and showed me that I already had everything I needed to diversify my business into areas that came naturally to me. Almost overnight I built serious momentum and cash flow in running specialised workshops on parenting at schools and in small group sessions.
- I was really concerned after struggling to hold onto my previous 2IC and had also lost 2 junior staff over a 3-month span. I felt the office mood flattening and how their loss had affected morale. Together with David, we worked on our vision, role, mission, guiding behaviours, values and customer service standards. It was an awesome series of workshops. David has been on my back to make sure all of that work is integrated into everything we do. It’s early days but I haven’t had any staff turnover for 5 months now.
- After 17 years directing a small business, I was looking for what next. Problem was I wasn’t sure what that looked like and how to leave one identity behind to embrace the next. David guided me through these hurdles, from a financial perspective and my emotional resistance. I cried, laughed and let off steam as he supported me venturing into the treacherous landscape of changing my business model.
- In 4 weeks, I sourced $14K in new work after David intervened on my piss poor efforts to network. I have to be honest. Being a business owner can be a lonely journey but I originally hated networking.
- In our first 3 sessions David helped me work on my brand. He dug into my VIA strengths and Myers Briggs and quickly got a feel for my personal strengths and weaknesses. It wasn’t the most comfortable process but I kept walking away more and more confident in myself. I felt like a better leader. That I had taken off a mask. It was less about being liked and more about being respected.
- He has the attention to detail of a lawyer and the creativity of a world class marketer. David totally reshaped our business proposals and drove better quality results. In turn with David’s changes, my business was able to lock away hundreds of thousands of dollars of extra revenue. All because of his changes.
- David was able to guide me through incredibly stressful small business legal challenges. David has previous experience as a commercial litigation solicitor (just another string to his bow) and he helped me put together a strategy which included briefing a solicitor and then a barrister.
- David was also instrumental in navigating the world of intellectual property. Registering our business name, logos, products both in Australia and overseas. Again, he helped me engage a solicitor with expertise in that space. He helped me understand the steps involved. Helping me ask the right questions. Keep on top of things. To negotiate and then minimise the legal fees, we spent.
- When COVID19 hit I feared that my business was over. I tried to march on as if nothing happened and I was punished in sales big time. My lowest March revenue in history. By a mile. I was totally shattered. I was bleeding money on every front and could only keep running until June until the money ran out. I reached out to David seeing if he could suggest anything to breathe life back into the company. He suggested that it started with our customers. We needed to completely change the way we marketed our products. David inundated me with 50-60 potential captions we could use. We have a long way to go until we are in clear waters, but our April sales were much stronger than we thought possible. Not earth shattering but a healthy daily cash flow. Engagement levels on social media also began to pick up.